The key element of any dosimeter is radiation detector. Ability of detector to determine different types of ionizing radiation in various energy spectrum ranges mainly defines the basic characteristics of the device. The more types of radiation detector registers and the wider range of the detected radiation is, the more information can be obtained about the current radiation situation.
RadiaScan uses high sensitive Geiger counters to detect X-ray, gamma and beta radiation. Due to the high sensitive detectors RadiaScan has the following advantages as compared to the competitors in the same price range:
- obtains more reliable results in less measurement time;
- responds to changes of radiation situation more quickly and, as a consequence, quickly emit alerts;
- detects beta radiation in a wide range of energies.
Ability of device to determine beta radiation is important because there are radioactive materials (such as strontium-90) which radiates basically beta particles and almost don’t emit gamma particles.
Modern 32-bit microcontroller with processor core ARM Cortex-M3 - the second element that differentiates dosimeters RadiaScan from its compatitors. The use of this processor allows:
- to make complex calculations in processing and displaying the measuring data;
- to establish connection and share data with software on PC;
- to actively use capabilities of PC for accumulation, storage, processing, analysis and displaying the measuring data;
- to update software of the device and use all the new capabilities that may have become available after the purchase;
- user to participate in further development of the device by making suggestions to developers, many of which can be implemented in the device.
High-contrast 1.8" color OLED display with resolution of 160x128 pixels provides qualitative display of measuring results and basic parameters of the device.